Originally Posted By: Alex Frost
1 Cup instant oatmeal
Mix all dry ingredients, add boiling water, let sit for 5-10 mins then enjoy.
1/2 Cup Currants
1 scoop unflavored whey protein powder
1 1/2 Cup water
This stuff gives you an amazing boost in energy and is an excellent recovery food for weight lifting. You could even put in a scoop of Dextrose powder to help replenish your glycogen stores even faster.
Note, I under hydrate my oatmeal because I can't eat it if it's not slightly chewy. You might want to add more water.
Backcountry Food Recommended Reading
Food & Food Preparation
- Recipes for Adventure: Healthy, Hearty and Homemade Backpacking Recipes
- The Dehydrator Bible: Includes over 400 Recipes : by Jennifer MacKenzie
- The Well-Fed Backpacker : by June Fleming
- Complete Dehydrator Cookbook : Mary Bell, Evie Righter
- Backpack Gourmet: Good Hot Grub You Can Make at Home, Dehydrate, and Pack for Quick, Easy, and Healthy Eating on the Trail : by Linda Frederick Yaffe
- The Feed Zone Cookbook: Fast and Flavorful Food for Athletes, by Linda Frederick Yaffe
- Hungry Hiker's Book of Good Cooking : by Gretchen McHugh
- Simple Foods for the Pack : More than 180 All-natural, Trail-tested Recipes (Sierra Club Outdoor Adventure Guides) : by Claudia Axcell, Diana Cooke, Vikki Kath, Bob Kinmont
- Trail Food: Drying and Cooking Food for Backpacking and Paddling : by Alan S. Kesselheim
- Lipsmackin' Backpackin': Lightweight Trail-tested Recipes for Backcountry Trips : by Christine Connors
- Lipsmackin' Vegetarian Backpackin' : by Christine Connors, Tim Connors
- Trail Food: Drying and Cooking Food for Backpacking and Paddling, by Alan S. Kesselheim
- Backpack Gourmet: Good Hot Grub You Can Make at Home, Dehydrate, and Pack for Quick, Easy, and Healthy Eating on the Trail
- Lipsmackin' Backpackin' : Lightweight, Trail-Tested Recipes for Backcountry Trips
- Lipsmackin' Vegetarian Backpackin'
- The Complete Trail Food Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Campers, Canoeists and Backpackers
|Search for "backcountry food" or other items below:|
|| HOME || BACKPACKING RECIPES || E-MAIL ||